Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.
Be still… and know that I am God; Psalm 46:10a
In Part Six I listed a few creatures associated with Greek mythology and the gods. Dionysus in particular had a retinue of human-animal hybrids. Here are some of the other critters populating Greek Mythology:
- Centaur – Half-men, half-horse creatures that ran wild and unruly.
- Cerberus – The three-headed dog that guards the entrance to Hades.
- Chimera – Part-lion, part-goat, part-snake – all monster.
Gorgon – The snake-haired and snake-bodied humanoid that was created in its mother’s image. Its stare could turn a person to stone. Medusa became one of these creatures in a later myth.
- Griffin – A creature with the body of a lion, the tail of a snake, and the head and wings of an eagle.
- Medusa – A disciple of Athena who was turned into a gorgon. She had the hair of snakes and could turn men to stone with her gaze.
- Mermaids – Sea creatures with the head and torso of a woman and the tail of a fish.
Minotaur – The creature with the head and legs of a bull and the torso of a man, who guarded the exit to The Labyrinth.
- Pegasus – Technically the proper name of Bellerophon’s winged horse, which became the general name for winged horses.
- Satyr – Half-men, half-goats who were wild and lustful. The god Pan was one of these.
- Sphinx – The half-human, half-lion that forces those it meets to answer its riddles, or die.
- Unicorn – A magical horse with a single horn on its forehead.
These are the more well-known of the human/animal hybrids that populated Greek mythology. I never considered that might have been real, because as we all know…well, knew…you can’t mix different species together. That has changed in recent years.
Human beings have learned how to mix DNA from different species and create modern-day chimeras. It’s progressed far enough that laws regulating it have already been enacted in the US and Europe. See Animal Human Cross Breeding from a year ago:
“Several states have already made it a felony to produce mixed species hybrids. It’s only a misdemeanor to simply have one you bought from…somewhere. Probably England. This sort of thing is legal across the pond.”
But that wasn’t the only eye-opener floating around in the news. In Human-Pig Hybrid?? just last January I wrote about how they continued to move along in human/animal hybrid research. The goal is to grow a replacement human pancreas in a pig using stem cells. Then they drop the bomb:
“They let the human-pig embryo grow for a month, then remove and dissect it to see how things appear to be developing compared to plan.
Lead author of the research, Izpisua Belmonte, told Futurism: ‘This is long enough for us to try to understand how the human and pig cells mix together early on without raising ethical concerns about mature chimeric animals.’
Apparently, his ethics are about what it looks like, not what it is. This fits right in with the abortion mentality. ‘It’s in the womb. We can’t see it. It’s an embryo, not a human being.’”
To connect the dots, we as a race are playing around with something that is infinitely beyond our pay grade. This is no different from what the fallen Watchers were doing with humans and about anything else they could get their hands on. They didn’t use modern technology, but they did it. I refer you back to Part Four and 23 Minutes in Hell in which Bill Wiese relates how he saw a veritable horror show of creatures in his tour of hell.
The fallen Watchers didn’t have test tubes and gene sequencers, but they had the secrets of the universe to draw on and the ability, as spirits, take different physical forms. Here are a couple verses from Enoch to tell us about it.
Enoch 17:1-2a – And they took and brought me to a place in which those who were there were like flaming fire, 2and, when they wished, they appeared as men…
Enoch 19:1-3a – And Uriel said to me, “Here stand the angels who have connected themselves with women, and their spirits assuming many different forms are defiling mankind and shall lead them astray into sacrificing to demons as gods, (here they shall stand,) till the great day of judgment in 2which they shall be judged till they are made an end of. And of the women also of the angels who 3went astray shall become sirens.” And I, Enoch, alone saw the vision, the end of all things: and no man shall see as I have seen.
The fallen Watchers mated with women, producing the Nephilim. They also mated with other animals to produce, in all likelihood, several, if not most, of the mythological hybrids.
“…they began to sin against birds, and beasts, and reptiles, and fish…” Enoch 7:5b.
What does this mean for us? The conclusion is coming in Part Eight.
Sometimes I have a lot on my mind and it shows on my face. Many times, random people-strangers and others-will say: “Smile, it’s not that bad!” It usually isn’t. But sometimes, it is. I suffer from depression. Up front, I want to say that this is not an anti-treatment rant, because I have […]
For the Lord is great and greatly to be praised; He is also to be feared above all gods. 1 Chronicles 16:25
The Fallen Watchers in all likelihood set themselves up as gods and enemies of God. They gave away secrets to men that were not meant for them. The Greek gods also taught humanity different skills and knowledge.
Who are the gods of Greek myth? Let’s take a look:
- Aphrodite, goddess of beauty, love, desire, & pleasure. Her Roman equal is Venus
- Apollo, god of music, arts, healing, plague, prophecy, poetry, manly beauty, & archery. He is also known for being cruel and destructive, and his love affairs are rarely happy. Some late Roman and Greek mythography identifies him as a sun god. The Roman sun god was Sol; Helios in Greek.
- Ares, god of war bloodshed, and violence. Romans identified him as Mars.
Artemis, goddess of the hunt and patron of Athens, which was named for her. Her Roman identity was Minerva.
- Demeter, goddess of grain, agriculture, harvest, growth, & nourishment. She controls the life cycle of plants. Her Roman equal is Ceres.
- Dionysus, god of wine, madness, chaos, drunkenness, & ecstasy. He is often associated with satyrs (human/goat hybrids), maenads (literally, “raving ones,” his female followers ), and his tutor Sileus.
- Hades, god of the dead, the underworld. Cerberus was his three-headed dog. To the Romans he was Pluto.
- Hephaestus, god of fire, metalworking, & crafts. Although seen as using fire to create, his Roman identity was feared as a destroyer, associated with volcanos.
Hera, queen of the gods, goddess of marriage. Also of jealousy and vengeance due to Zeus’ many infidelities. Known as Juno in Rome.
- Hermes, god of boundaries and communication; language & writing. Messenger of the gods. Mercury in Roman folklore.
- Hestia, goddess of hearth, home & chastity. Very scarce in Greek mythology. The Romans called her Vesta.
- Poseidon, god of seas and rivers, floods and earthquakes. Neptune to the Romans.
- Zeus, king of the gods, god of sky and weather, thunder, lightning, and justice. His Roman equal is Jupiter, sometimes called Jove.
Here, according to Enoch, are some of the fallen Watchers and the secrets they gave up to humanity:
- Azazel taught men metalworking for weapons. He taught them about all of the metals of the earth and how to work them into bracelets, and ornaments. He also showed men precious stones and all of the pigments for colors. This brought about much sinning and fornication as mankind was led astray.
- Semjaza taught enchantments and cutting of roots.
- Armaros taught the resolving of enchantments.
- Naraqijal, astrology
- Kokabel, the constellations
- Ezeqeel, knowledge of the clouds
- Araqiel taught the signs of the earth.
- Shamsiel taught signs of the sun.
- Sariel revealed the course of the moon
These were secrets that were not meant for mankind. Metalworking, for example, provided man with the means to make weapons. In announcing God’s judgment against the fallen Watchers, Enoch conveys the evil which they have brought into the world:
Enoch 16:3 – “You have been in heaven, but all the mysteries had not yet been revealed to you, and you knew worthless ones, and these in the hardness of your hearts you have made known to the women, and through these mysteries women and men work much evil on earth.”
Enoch records that another Watcher “…showed the children of men all the blows of death, and he led astray Eve, and showed (the weapons of death to the sons of men)…” This may be how Cain learned to kill Abel.
One other fallen Watcher that stood out to me is Kasdeja: “This is he who showed the children of men all the wicked smiting of spirits and demons, and the smiting of the embryo in the womb, that it may pass away…”
Working precious metals and learning pigments for adornment also gave rise to vanity and lust, when our only concern was to be pleasing to God, not seducing others.
Reproofs of instruction are the way of life, 24 To keep you from the evil woman, From the flattering tongue of a seductress. 25 Do not lust after her beauty in your heart, Nor let her allure you with her eyelids. 26 For by means of a harlot A man is reduced to a crust of bread; And an adulteress[c] will prey upon his precious life. Proverbs 6:23b-26
Astrology and enchantments, are obviously types of sorcery.
Also he (Manasseh) caused his sons to pass through the fire in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom; he practiced soothsaying, used witchcraft and sorcery, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the sight of the Lord, to provoke Him to anger. 2 Chronicles 33:6
The fallen Watchers wrought much destruction on humanity and the earth as a whole from taking human women and producing the Nephilim to opening the secrets of arts not meant for man.
I wrote about the fact that God found it necessary to destroy all flesh in Part Four and told you we’re getting close to an answer for that in Part Five. That’s next in Part Seven.
Now I know that the Lord is greater than all the gods; for in the very thing in which they behaved proudly, He was above them. Exodus 18:11
The “false gods” of the bible and “all gods” that Yahweh was above are something to ask about. Just who were they?
I have always taken this to mean the graven images that were worshipped by other tribes. I never thought the “other gods” were real. I was apparently mistaken.
For one thing, look at the above passage from Exodus. Graven images, carved wood, sculpted stone, and molded metals don’t behave. They just sit there. And they are not “they.” They are “its.” As in, “It is a piece of wood shaped like something other than a piece of wood.”
Exodus 18:11, however, speaks of the other gods behaving proudly. There were indeed other gods, and they were not looking out for humanity’s best interests, only their own.
“And the angles, the children of heaven, saw and lusted after (women), and said to one another: ‘Come, let us choose wives from among the children of men and beget us children.’ And Semjaza, who was their leader, said unto them, “I fear ye will not indeed agree to do this deed, and I alone shall have to pay the penalty of a great sin.’ And they answered him and said: ‘Let us all swear an oath and bind ourselves by mutual imprecations not to abandon this plan, but do this thing.’ The sware they all together and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it. And they were in all two hundred; who descended in the days of Jared on the summit of Mt. Hermon, and they called it Mt. Hermon, because they had sworn and bound themselves by mutual imprecations upon it.” Enoch 6:2-7a
They knew they were planning evil, but in a mix of pride and cowardice, they bound themselves together in this enterprise, bolstering each other against the fear of punishment.
It is interesting to note that Mt. Hermon has a history of being a place of oaths in more than one telling. From Wikipedia:
There is a sacred building made of hewn blocks of stone on the summit of Mount Hermon. Known as Qasr Antar, it is the highest temple of the ancient world and was documented by Sir Charles Warren in 1869. An inscription on a limestone stele recovered by Warren from Qasr Antar was translated by George Nickelsburg to read “According to the command of the greatest a (nd) Holy God, those who take an oath (proceed) from here.” Nickelsburg connected the inscription with oath taken by the angels under Semjaza who took an oath together, bound by a curse in order to take wives in the Book of Enoch (1 Enoch 6:6). Hermon was said to have become known as “the mountain of oath” by Charles Simon Clermont-Ganneau.
So we have a class of angels called Watchers (also mentioned in Daniel) who rebel.
My question at this point is whether they could have set themselves up as gods. Indeed, the Greek gods were known for taking earthly women for their own pleasures just as the Watchers in Enoch. One famous example is the story of Apollo and Daphne.
Apollo is taken by her beauty and means to rape her. As she flees, she calls to her father, the river god Peneus, to save her by transforming her body. This he grants, changing her into a tree. Bernini’s breath-taking sculpture of this rests in the Borghese museum in Rome, which I was fortunate to see once.
So are there any dots to connect regarding the Watchers and the Greek gods? Obviously, there is the connection to taking women to satisfy their lust.
But what else, if anything? Perhaps the gifts of the gods? Maybe even one of them being named in the New Testament as a real being?
Come back for Part Six!