Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body. 24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her, 26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word, 27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish. 28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself. 29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church. 30 For we are members of His body,[d] of His flesh and of His bones. 31 “For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh.”[e] 32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church. 33 Nevertheless let each one of you in particular so love his own wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband. Ephesians 5:22-33
The above passage gets a lot of people’s ire up. Feminism has generally got a lot to say about the whole submission line. “Obey” is usually omitted from marriage vows nowadays.
But read the whole thing, slowly, deliberately, and dispassionately. You’ll see that the majority of this passage is directed at the man and the sacrificial manner in which he is to treat his wife. Wives’ submission to their husbands is characterized as the loving response for husbands’ devotion to them. This is how marriage symbolizes our relationship to Christ.
So each, the man and the woman, have a role to play in their relationship and as a family.
Enter Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. This book was an eye-opener to me when I first read it many years ago. Eldredge shows us how the sexes are wired to assume their roles as adults. Clichés about the damsel in distress and the heroic knight are clichés simply because they are based in reality. That’s how clichés become clichés! The woman wants to be cared for. The man wants to be heroic.
Here’s my take on what Eldredge has to say. God is definitely masculine, but He also possesses the feminine nurturing qualities as well. The Holy Spirit has a feminine expression in the original languages. God symbolically split Himself in two when He created Adam and Eve. Their marriage – and every marriage since – is a symbolic reunion of those two essential parts of God. The union of a man and woman in marriage and producing children is our act of creation, symbolically showing God and His creation in earthly acts.
Do you see now why marriage is so important to God? Do you understand now why sexual sins are especially abhorrent to God?
This is also why Satan is so keen to destroy the family unit on earth. His greatest servant of modern times, Alistair Crowley, founded the modern day Church of Satan. Consider the following:
- He wrote The Book of the Law, which he claims was dictated to him by “…a disembodied voice that claimed to be that of Aiwass, the messenger of Horus…”
- Crowley wrote “Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law.” This became the 60’s mantra, “Do your own thing.”
- He claimed to be The Great Beast, 666
- “I was not content to believe in a personal devil and serve him, in the ordinary sense of the word. I wanted to get hold of him personally and become his chief of staff.”
- Following a mountaintop sex magic ritual, Crowley also performed an invocation to the demon Choronzon involving blood sacrifice, considering the results to be a watershed in his magical career.
- “Let me seduce the boys…and the oldsters may totter unconverted to their graves. Then these boys, become men, may bring about the new Heaven and the new Earth…but without an army I am useless…give me my army, young men; and we will sweep these dogs into the sea.” Calling for a sexual revolution and destruction of the family.
- He declared family to be public enemy #1 in his book, Magick Without Tears, saying of family, “Think what horrid images it evokes from the mind. Not only Victorian; wherever the family has been strong it has always been an engine of tyranny…curse them! They are always in the way…to the performance of this work (the New Age) the nearest obstacle and the most obvious is the family.”
Crowley did everything he could to subvert Christian living, including perverted sex, drug use, and rock and roll. If Crowley could see what society has become, he would be proud!
We must cling to what is good, to the teachings God gave mankind from the beginning! History shows that societies who have taken the path we are now on will destroy themselves from within.
I strongly recommend Wild at Heart by John Eldredge. I encourage everyone to not listen to secular, Crowley-influenced teachings about human relations, sex, and family. Remain grounded in God’s Truth and share it with all you know!