For the Lord is great and greatly to be praised; He is also to be feared above all gods. 1 Chronicles 16:25
The Fallen Watchers in all likelihood set themselves up as gods and enemies of God. They gave away secrets to men that were not meant for them. The Greek gods also taught humanity different skills and knowledge.
Who are the gods of Greek myth? Let’s take a look:
- Aphrodite, goddess of beauty, love, desire, & pleasure. Her Roman equal is Venus
- Apollo, god of music, arts, healing, plague, prophecy, poetry, manly beauty, & archery. He is also known for being cruel and destructive, and his love affairs are rarely happy. Some late Roman and Greek mythography identifies him as a sun god. The Roman sun god was Sol; Helios in Greek.
- Ares, god of war bloodshed, and violence. Romans identified him as Mars.
Artemis, goddess of the hunt and patron of Athens, which was named for her. Her Roman identity was Minerva.
- Demeter, goddess of grain, agriculture, harvest, growth, & nourishment. She controls the life cycle of plants. Her Roman equal is Ceres.
- Dionysus, god of wine, madness, chaos, drunkenness, & ecstasy. He is often associated with satyrs (human/goat hybrids), maenads (literally, “raving ones,” his female followers ), and his tutor Sileus.
- Hades, god of the dead, the underworld. Cerberus was his three-headed dog. To the Romans he was Pluto.
- Hephaestus, god of fire, metalworking, & crafts. Although seen as using fire to create, his Roman identity was feared as a destroyer, associated with volcanos.
Hera, queen of the gods, goddess of marriage. Also of jealousy and vengeance due to Zeus’ many infidelities. Known as Juno in Rome.
- Hermes, god of boundaries and communication; language & writing. Messenger of the gods. Mercury in Roman folklore.
- Hestia, goddess of hearth, home & chastity. Very scarce in Greek mythology. The Romans called her Vesta.
- Poseidon, god of seas and rivers, floods and earthquakes. Neptune to the Romans.
- Zeus, king of the gods, god of sky and weather, thunder, lightning, and justice. His Roman equal is Jupiter, sometimes called Jove.
Here, according to Enoch, are some of the fallen Watchers and the secrets they gave up to humanity:
- Azazel taught men metalworking for weapons. He taught them about all of the metals of the earth and how to work them into bracelets, and ornaments. He also showed men precious stones and all of the pigments for colors. This brought about much sinning and fornication as mankind was led astray.
- Semjaza taught enchantments and cutting of roots.
- Armaros taught the resolving of enchantments.
- Naraqijal, astrology
- Kokabel, the constellations
- Ezeqeel, knowledge of the clouds
- Araqiel taught the signs of the earth.
- Shamsiel taught signs of the sun.
- Sariel revealed the course of the moon
These were secrets that were not meant for mankind. Metalworking, for example, provided man with the means to make weapons. In announcing God’s judgment against the fallen Watchers, Enoch conveys the evil which they have brought into the world:
Enoch 16:3 – “You have been in heaven, but all the mysteries had not yet been revealed to you, and you knew worthless ones, and these in the hardness of your hearts you have made known to the women, and through these mysteries women and men work much evil on earth.”
Enoch records that another Watcher “…showed the children of men all the blows of death, and he led astray Eve, and showed (the weapons of death to the sons of men)…” This may be how Cain learned to kill Abel.
One other fallen Watcher that stood out to me is Kasdeja: “This is he who showed the children of men all the wicked smiting of spirits and demons, and the smiting of the embryo in the womb, that it may pass away…”
Working precious metals and learning pigments for adornment also gave rise to vanity and lust, when our only concern was to be pleasing to God, not seducing others.
Reproofs of instruction are the way of life, 24 To keep you from the evil woman, From the flattering tongue of a seductress. 25 Do not lust after her beauty in your heart, Nor let her allure you with her eyelids. 26 For by means of a harlot A man is reduced to a crust of bread; And an adulteress[c] will prey upon his precious life. Proverbs 6:23b-26
Astrology and enchantments, are obviously types of sorcery.
Also he (Manasseh) caused his sons to pass through the fire in the Valley of the Son of Hinnom; he practiced soothsaying, used witchcraft and sorcery, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the sight of the Lord, to provoke Him to anger. 2 Chronicles 33:6
The fallen Watchers wrought much destruction on humanity and the earth as a whole from taking human women and producing the Nephilim to opening the secrets of arts not meant for man.
I wrote about the fact that God found it necessary to destroy all flesh in Part Four and told you we’re getting close to an answer for that in Part Five. That’s next in Part Seven.