1 Corinthians 1:17-19
17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect. 18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
This article appeared today in the Washington Examiner. It has the results of a Pew Research poll on the status of people’s faith and religious affiliations.
Not everyone has given up on God. Twenty percent of those who leave a church are simply leaving organized religion. They still believe in God. Half of that same group called it quits on church, God, miracles…everything.
According to Pew, “More and more people are junking religion and many are giving up on God.”
Forty nine percent who were raised in a religious household and have left religion cite “…science as the reason they do not believe in religious teachings…” Others reference the lack of common sense, logic, and evidence to support religion.
Some specific reasons why people gave up on God from the article:
- Learning about evolution when I went away to collge
- Too many Christians doing un-Christian things
- Lack of any sort of scientific or specific evidence of a creator
- I just believe that religion is a very personal thing between me and my creator
- Religion has become a business. It’s all about the money
Science being one reason, you can see some articles I’ve written about the subject and why evolution doesn’t hold up. You can find them by date in my archives.
- 05/08/14 Science and the Evolution Argument
- 10/22/14 The Exodus Case Part One is the first of 6 articles summarizing the major archeological finds that appear to support a literal reading of the Book of Exodus
- Answers in Genesis is an organization developed by Ken Ham to help Christians defend their faith in light of evolution and other products of science that appear to undermine biblical accuracy. The website is – https://answersingenesis.org/ Their online bookstore is at this site and has many books on the science of creation.
Hopefully, this will give you a decent start in understanding scientific evidence that is misread and actually supports Creation!
Here is the link to the article: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/pew-huge-surge-in-americans-who-no-longer-believe-in-god-miracles/article/2600066